Thursday, September 29, 2011

Serious Humor


Some days you can’t write about serious things.  I think that there may be a grand chance that I think far more than any human being should, and more than not, my thinking usually results in serious things, serious thoughts, and ultimately, serious blogs.  And I find it extraordinary when writers are talented enough to have a mix between gut wrenching seriousness and gut busting laughter.  In Matthew Paul Turner’s book, “Hear No Evil”, at the beginning of one page I was crying and by the end I was laughing hysterically. (I remember this very well because I was sitting in art class and the girl sitting across from me has judged me ever since.  She must think I’m bipolar or something.)  I haven’t reached that medium yet and I’m not quite sure how I am supposed to either.  I mean, sometimes I try to add some humor by throwing in a witty sentence only to realize later that I am the only who saw the wit in the whole situation.  I often even doubt that I’m funny in the first place and I could be wrong here, but I’m almost positive that it’s impossible to make people laugh if you can’t make yourself laugh.  I really don’t make myself laugh much.  My friends do, so maybe I should try to emulate them?  My friend Michael makes me laugh until I cry and my friend Andrew sometimes makes me double over.  Maybe I should be more like them?  Or maybe I shouldn’t be.  If I’m suppose to be a good writer, I feel like Jesus will give me humor and wit like He so graciously blesses me with His fruit each day.  I believe that if this whole writing thing is suppose to go anywhere, than maybe one day, I’ll be funny.

Today my heart is full.  For the past month and a half I have started my journey to adulthood and I have already learned some incredible things.  Believe me when I say that I have seen the serious side of life the past year or so but I do believe that one of the greatest things I have learned lately is how to laugh my head off with no shame.  There’s something about being on a battlefield like college, where everything is so black and white, that makes you see with irrefutable clearness that Jesus and His disciples must have laughed like madmen.  I don’t really know how to explain it but with everything that has been twirling about me, all of my heartbreak for the lost and for the world, I have for some reason found that dancing may very well be my best medicine for sorrow. It doesn’t make any sense and I am completely okay with that.  I may not be funny yet, but at least I am learning to laugh.

The beauty of life is that we can laugh and dance just as much as we can mourn and weep.  Maybe even sometimes at the same moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment